Sunday, February 9, 2014

Moving slower than Molasses in January


 How many times have you said this? I can't even think of how many times for me, but the past week I have said it over and over. Between my newly acquired bum back and the persistent cool temps. I haven't been getting much progress. Don't get me wrong it's not for a lack of trying or even doing! But the trying is modified tasks and the doing seems slooooooooowwwww.
Slow as molasses in January.....but how slow is that really?
Dr Google tells us that : "It was a balmy 43 degrees Fahrenheit (6 degrees Celsius) in Boston when the Great Molasses Flood happened on Wednesday, January 15, 1919 .  On that day, the low-lying section of Commercial Street between Copps Hill and North End Park was flooded by the contents of  a 58-foot tank that had contained no less than 2.5 million gallons of molasses .  The container stood just behind the Boston and Worcester freight terminal. 
When the tank split wide open at around 12:30 p.m. that day, a 30-foot tidal wave of molasses tore the steel supports off the nearby elevated train structure.  In the end, it was determined that the molasses of the Great Molasses Flood ran at between 25 and 30 mph (40 to 48 kph)."

So I suppose I stand corrected....I have been moving SLOWER than molasses in January.
  By Manitoba standards for this winter -23C is nothin', but for us as of late it seems cold. Especially when you are trying to squeeze your bare hands into a super tight space to evaluate the block heater.

 I know Fillmore has a mind of his own and can be stubborn but even in this temp. after being plugged in I should be able to get him turned over.
 Notta! 
I tried the old farmers trick of plugging in the block heater, then putting a metal pipe against the block close to the heater and listening for a "hiss".
Notta!
Chris gave me ther advice of putting the ohms meter on it to see if I was getting a reading...
Notta!
 After wrestling with removing the power chord, I was hoping it was fried.....nope
Just for good measure I got a new chord and installed it.....still nothing. Looks like I'm going to have to drain some of the fluid and replace the block heater itself. (NOT looking forward to that!)

 In the meantime I continue on with modifying the wheel well and placement of the passenger chair. First thing first was to heat up the inside to a comfortable temp. Thank the good lord for construction blast heaters!










After scouring a junk yard or two, I found nothing close to what I wanted for the seat base, so I ordered one. Cost me a few $$ but I have to make sure my lovely co- pilot will be comfy on those long road trips! Making progress.....just slow...about as slow as Molasses in...never mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...