Thursday, November 13, 2014

No one to blame but me.

My Dad said it to me, I've said it to my kids,
 "Careful! Its the last run of the day, and that's when people get hurt!"
 Now before we go any further, relax, I didn't hurt myself again. I'm just referring to the fact that when you are skiing, a statistically significant percentage of injuries happen at the end of the day. You know your tired, both physically and mentally so your body isn't responding as fast as your brain and your brain sees the end of the run and begins to shut down and you make stupid choices.....and often pay the price.


Michelle's Mom and Dad are out for a visit, and I love having them around. It gives me a live in cohort when it comes to projects in the workshop. Today was finally putting together the very last sliding window for Fillmore. You know how it is, the window panes are put together, the frame is cleaned up, the rubber is cut and the fuzzy channel(schlegal) is  there. How hard can it be to put it together?

So Ron and I set out to accomplish the task at hand. All was going so well, the fuzzy channel was installed, the foam and felt seal was placed, the frame was all put together......the last step was to put in what I call the stopper seal. The great big rubber seal that sits against the fixed pane and acts as a hard stop for the sliding pane. We pushed it into place, and then I could see the finish line. My mind started to look two more steps ahead, and like the wide receiver in football who looks where he will go next instead of  concentrating on the catch in that last split second, I dropped the ball. I picked up a soft rubber mallet and started tapping the seal to fully seat it....the taps became more aggressive....and then I just needed one more spot to seat....
Ehhhh crap!.....fumble......wipe out.....full on faceplant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...