Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Putting a roof over our head

As Mr Dickens so eloquently put it..."It was the best of times it was the worst of times." I was very happy with myself for finally installing the workshop door. And I have to tell you it was a B#@CH. I now have a new appreciation for guys who make this look easy. It took me over two hours and about 4 attempts. I would think I'm getting there and have things close to looking hung plumb and true and then "pow" it would sucker punch me like a insecure bully at a party. The "best of times part of this came after I had to walk away to make supper. I came back and as seemingly violent the implosion was when I left, things just magically fell into place as softly as a snowflake landing on a snowman in the yard.
Part two of the dichotomy of the moment  came on the Monday. Jeff, who is still 14 and in grade 10, tried out for and made the senior boys volleyball team...yay!.....and then at the first practice went up for a block and came down on a kids who came through the net and ended up busting his left ankle.














The let down was dramatic for him, and went on for a few days when he came to the realization of the true impact of his injury and despite his insistence that he would be back in a couple weeks, he is out for the season.

Work on the shop continued, I finally got around to laying the roof insulation.
I ran into a little snag with laying down the plywood roofing, I had only hefted 3 sheets up there prior to laying in the insulation. That was great as I was able to move sheets around and finish the job. But I ran into a wee problem getting the rest of the sheets up there. Jeff was out of commission, Michelle was in the city, and Anna.....
Well you NEVER interrupt a teenager when they willingly pull out a vacuum  and use it for doing good in the world!
So I created a full sheet step ladder, and I have to say it worked quite well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...