Tuesday, April 27, 2021

A step up

Back in 2016...ish, I was convinced that my work shop could be shared. By 2017 I had gotten the boot. Half of my shop had been taken over for a family gym area, and the sharing of the space wasn't working for either area me or the exercise area. So between that and a desire not to lay on the ground outside when working on Fillmore, I created a storage/work space for my shop and Fillmore. So you can probably appreciate then my trepidation when I come home from work and find someone
 "sharing" my work space. I will admit it is for woodworking/painting project which does fall into the 'dog house' mission statement.

Although admittedly I was a little disappointed she was drinking neither hot coffee or cold beer. 

None the less, my work continues on the ladder installation. I have mapped out where it will be situated.


Next was creating mounting gaskets/pads

A wee challenge as the mounting foot is flat and the surface is curved. I ended up making a multi layer wedged footing and shaping it with good ol' sandpaper.


 
The easiest way to access the underside was through the top. The ladder is mounted to the skin....the body panel, but it is unsupported. As soon as you put significant weight on the ladder the skin will deflect (and bend) if not supported from underneath.
Getting my upper body in there was a wee bit comical. Although I just about slid down onto the engine at one point, this was actually a stable balance position...

In the end I got a really compact and super stable support.

Which I then celebrated with a hot cuppa joe and CBC classical music!

Next will be doing a double support for the bottom of the top section and the top of the lower hinged section.....stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...