Thursday, October 11, 2012

Looking for work

 Being on 'light' duties means no increased heart rate or blood pressure, no lifting, no hanging upside down...you know all the usual fun stuff you do when working on a bus.
 So, after a few weeks of laying low, I started doing jobs that I could do that were low impact. Today was a trial attempt at custom glass work.
 So with scotch in hand,I transferred the Flxible logo onto a sheet of acrylic.At this point things look promising. I wanted the rear surface of the Plexiglas to have the etching on it, AND I wanted the decal to be the negative. So I had to lay down duct tape first then spray adhesive the back of the tape and transfer the decal so when I cut it out it had the correct orientation from the front.

At this point I  realized a major mistake when I was cutting out the decal. I neglected to remove the clear plastic film from the surface to be etched prior to the decal transfer. Not a big problem for the surfaces to be etched because the film was removed with the removal of the rest of the discarded transfer. The issue was that the negative, the decal that remained to prevent etching, still had the plastic film under the tape. As such the adhesion of the decal to the acrylic was minimal. I knew there would be issues as soon as the blast media was shot at the piece.
I tried to keep an adequate distance from the acrylic with the blast gun, but sure enough it blew away some of the decal. Some of it worked, so I know I can get it done, but it's back to the drawing board for a second attempt!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...