Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Spanish Inquisition

Probably the biggest challenge for a project like this is fear....Fear and surprise.....fear, surprise and a ruthless efficiency. Wait, no that is a Monty Python skit
Seriously, fear and surprise are significant and daily parts of working on Fillmore, but the biggest challenge in my eyes is organization. This has been and continues to be a long term project, as such there are times where you take something apart, bag and label the items, and then store them so when it comes time to put it back together, you have everything you need. Take for example two of the four round "donut " collars that are around the bumper supports on the front of Fillmore. There was damage to the lower 6" of the front nose panel and I made a decision to replace the lower portion of the panel only. This all took place when I gave Fillmore a Nose Job back in 2010. The two donuts in question went into a labeled baggy and were stored, and then moved, and then shuffled and then placed for safe keeping.
Then it was time to repair and reinstall......You guessed it I can't find then at all. DAG NABIT!!

I removed the remaining two collars, cleaned them up

And then used them as a template for fabricating new ones, above is an original (left) a new one in progress(center) and then one that is done(right)
Primed and waiting to install.
In the meantime my helper was johnny on the spot with the rivet gun...











...and some body work.In the pic on the left you can see the collar installed

But even the best help is hard to keep focused on task!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...