Saturday, July 9, 2011

I'm so confused....

 So when word gets out that you have the capability to weld....as limited as your ability is, you become a popular guy. One of my neighbors brought by  his son's dirt bike for a frame repair....just add it to the list.

 So last time I left you with the making of the rad stand, the "blue print" and the final product!
Not to bad really, I was quite happy with how things turned out.
 Today was a bus day, it was supposed to be a fishing with my brother in law day but...well life gets busy. So we're trying for a day later in the summer! John came over and we did some planning. A shopping list really. Things that I have to get to be ready for the next step. Fuel lines, air lines for the throttle, etc etc. Well one thing led to another and we started to chat about some of the upcoming challenges. One of John's major concerns was the rad. The radiator is a big momma, heavy to be all when it's empty so she's going to have some heft when it is full of coolant. The concern is two fold the potential rocking of the rad on the stand and second the efficiency of the pumps pumping the coolant that high. We mused for some time about thinking outside the Flxible box . Specifically why does the rad have to be up above the engine?
The application of the rad in the donor vehicle had the rad on the side of the vehicle, aside from the fact that the ram air is part of the Flxy mystique why not consider an alternative location?

 So after John left I sat down with lunch and a beer and did some sketches.
 Moving the dummy rad to the passenger side, it is possible. As you can see on the left a small funneling of the rad of about 4" would be required, and I would either have to cut the SS side panel or flute it.
 I decide to give it a try, build a stand and see which one I like better.
 A test fit...
Floor supports and both side stands....hmmm....I'm so confused.....

2 comments:

  1. But what about the scoop if you put it on the side?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although that would create air flow, it's a classic battle of form vs function. Functionally that makes sense....aesthetically I really don't like the look of a scoop on the side.

    ReplyDelete

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...