Thursday, June 25, 2015

Couldn't see the forest for the trees

 How many times do I say to my kids, break down the problem into manageable pieces. Problem solve one small step at a time. Use the process of logical elimination.
Apparently I didn't get the memo about practice what you preach. Allow me to explain...
 Last week, Saturday to be exact, I had a few hours in the afternoon to play with Fillmore. Michelle and Anna were in the city, Jeff was busy walking the razors edge of fun vs a trip to the hospital and I was going to work on the water tanks and water pump set up. I hopped in the bus and fired him up. Right away my spidey senses were tingling. The air pressure gauge has an alarm on it for when the PSI gets below 80. Being that it had sat for a number of days, pressure was low and the alarm should be as annoying as a mosquito in the middle of the night. But there was no annoying alarm, as I disengaged the air brakes and pulled into the driveway to be in the sunshine I realized there was no readings on any of my gauges. Before I could think my way through the possible ramifications, I shut it down. And he was not to start again....

Making the assumption that this was a simple connection issue. I took the dash apart to ensure all was where it should be. It was....kind of. The ignition cylinder was loose. Simply the retention nut needed to be snugged up. The issue had been that Fillmore had been out of my hands, and the guys doing the work had simply kept turning the cylinder and the whole thing was all twisted up like a piece of Twizzlers licorice. Unfortunately unwinding the mess of wires didn't help. The dash was still dead. No power at all, and I had run out of time. Jeff had to tow Fillmore back into the shelter with our Quad.
Monday brought a very unique opportunity for me. Jeff's class was going on a back country camp out, and I was able to plan ahead and volunteer.
Words seem thin and pale when trying to describe the rich and robust beauty of what is essentially our back yard. A fantastic hike with a group of highly independent and capable 12 year olds. They packed in their own equipment, cooked their own meals, and I can't recall one kid winging about anything. There was time for hikes, and naps in the sun....and maybe some time for quiet contemplation about what the HE## was the issue with Fillmore's electrical.












Tuesday afternoon brought us home and afforded me a few hours to chase the ghost. I tore everything apart checking fuses, checking relays, checking connections.




Chris and I had developed an extensive list of the fuse labels, and I checked everything that mentioned "key on circuit" or "ignition"
Our list is extensive but sometimes the obvious is too hard to see. I was pouring over the wiring diagrams one more time before I gave up and just started pouring an ounce of frustration relief.












Then I saw some of the Egyptian Hieroglyphics that Chris passes off as handwriting(you'd swear he was a physician) that said
"Ignition Fuse F7-A"
And I thought to myself, F7-A?....I have checked every fuse that says ignition and I don't remember F7-A. Going back to the list.....item 3....."Supply to- instrument control/IGN/start control"

Seriously?

4 comments:

  1. The real question is why did the fuse blow? Was it because of the twisted start switch? Did you find the short on the wires?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there were two issues. One of the wires(battery feed) had come loose from it's connector leaving a live wire bare which could have grounded out. The second I am less clear on the theory behind, but when I check with my friends who are mechanics and explain the situation to them they all said " Oh ya the twisted bunch of wires will do that for sure"

      Delete
    2. Glad you found something! I have been super impressed with you and your families progress on Fillmore. Keep up the great work and thanks for keeping the updates coming. (thumbs up!)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...