Tuesday, June 2, 2015

The light of my life

I get it.
Or perhaps I should say I get it now. Actually to be honest this isn't the first time I've had moments of clarity on the subject, it's been happening now for over 14 years. Every now and again it moves me to pick up the phone and call my mom and say "Ya, hi mom, it's Blake....I get it.....thanks for that(or sorry about that)". So what is it that I get? Just being a parent. Understanding the highs and lows the hopes and dreams for a good,healthy and happy life for your children. As kids, teenagers, and even young adults you don't get it. You can't possibly get it. But when you have children of your own, if your lucky enough to still do it, you call up your parents and say "thanks, and I love you".

For what ever reason, this moment right here did it for me. I asked my son to help me for a moment in the workshop. We were ripping some acrylic panels for the centre light fixture in Fillmore. We both dawned our protective eye wear (I'm a little anal about that now) and ripped two different panels into strips to be tested inside Fillmore. As we walked up the hill from the shop, I turned and looked at Jeff and was flooded with a mixture of emotions. From pride to anxiety about him growing up to fast and our time being limited.

After I managed to pull myself together, we carried on. Slipping a series of both types of acrylic into the lights it was field test time. Both lenses had positives, both had negatives.




In the end I think we will go with the slightly more opaque lens to soften the light at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...