Thursday, January 21, 2016

Template Tempest

OK perhaps the term Tempest is a little strong. Nothing that recently happened was violent, but I must admit the use of mock ups, or templates has really stirred things up. I think my inability to adequately sketch my ideas onto paper without them looking like someone was finger painting with spaghetti is partially to blame as well. In my head I have an idea of what this will look like. When I try to sketch it out, it resembles my art work from kindergarten in Ms Puhatch's class........yes that name is correct....there is no typo......get over it!












After erecting the bathroom walls, I made a simple footprint outline of the Ikea sink I plan to use. This of course pushed me to ensure the final position of the toilet, which in turn required me to place the inner bathroom wall board up.


But....having curved ceilings and curved walls, means that each panel has to be scribed onto it's own separate template. I First used cardboard, thinking of course that this would be perfect....

It was not. There was a gap on the roof line that was inconsistent. Ranging from 1/4" space to binding the roof material. So I needed to get a better system for scribing. I tried the protractor, but you have to keep it level the entire way to keep the line consistent.



In the end, of course, the solution was the simplest design. A piece of 2x2 with a hole drilled through the body. This allowed me to be stable to the flat surface being scribed and perpendicular to it as well.







I could then easily have a line that was perfect to the roof line but would allow me to control the relief from touching the roofing material!
It wasn't much to look at but it held to the wall like a teenage couple in puppy love....minimal distance.
Now that we have the first wall template....it's time to transfer to the material to be used for the wall.

3 comments:

  1. Will you be keeping a small gap on the top of the wall? I would think as the bus shell heats and cools there will be expansion issues. Not to mention the movement that may occur as the coach travels down the road. If not a gap then something flexible like a foam or rubber strip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have a gap about 1/16"that I will seal with caulk and/or trim. This should be enough to allow for some "jiggle and shake"

      Delete
    2. Nice! Keep up the great work (thumbs up)

      Delete

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...