Friday, June 3, 2016

Noah's Ark

I'm 9 years old, laying in bed at my grandparents cottage, the rain is constant, and I love it. I pull the sheets up high so they are right under my chin. The air is crisp and cool and I revel in the fact my ear lobes are cold mid summer. I could get up and shut the window,  a old school single hung set up, even  of that was foreign and romantic, but I loved the soothing sound of the rain. And the thunder.....oooohhh the thunder. Growing up in northern Manitoba, yes , we had thunderstorms, but they were short and sweet. In the deep south of the province they seemed to rumble on for ever, and I would take all they would give.
Just the other day we had a thunderstorm blow in, yet this rain storm didn't give me the same warm fuzzies and feelings of safety and security that my grandparents cottage at Ponema beach did.....no...I had a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach on this one.
There are rain storms....there are heavy rains... then there are deluges. The storm rolled through Bragg Creek, past in about 15 minutes, so it wasn't like I was looking for pairs of animals or anything. But at the same time it was unsettling, and I couldn't quite put my finger on why. I was scheduled to take Fillmore in for a "once over", really a basic oil change, before my big trip to Manitoba. I left the house hoping the rain storm was faster than the old steed, but alas it was not. I drove up onto it and then through it, and then it hit again as I was parked outside the repair shop. As I was chatting with Cliff about this and that through the dull roar of the rain, I looked over my shoulder and saw that a few of the windows were leaking like a sieve....no, like a tap was left on at a trickle.
As I flew through the bus using a combo of towels, shirts, drop clothes and magnets to catch the water before it created a bigger mess I remember why I was uneasy. I had installed the windows, a LONG time ago.....temporarily. I had intended to water test them and ensure they were sealed.
Whoops.









The windows I could handle, cause and effect. Black and white. But on the rear wall behind the last window I had water on the ledge. A place where window leakage could not get to. I have another issue. Now I have to find out what and where.
As well the floor leaking was leaking. Mainly around the wheel wells, didn't secure the floors yet as I am still working on tank fittings.
So,rip it all up...it's only going to be harder later....sigh...
while I'm here....do the ground work for an underfloor drawer


After a number of hours...not necessarily in a row....the floor was back together and I was on the hunt for a solution......to be continued...






No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...