Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Measure once, Cut twice......do it again.

For my profession  we attend continuing education sessions throughout the year as part of our annual requirements for licensure. Like most things there are good ones and there are bad ones, but we go to enough of them that you almost know in the first hour how realistic the presenter is based on whether or not he/she is true. What I mean is... none of us are perfect. Despite what I keep telling my wife about my rendition of Loverboy's "The kid is hot tonight", none of us are perfect. We all make mistakes.
So when a presenter shows us nothing but clinical perfection, I know that this isn't the real story. To show only your successes, the ideal result, and not share the tumultuous journey to get there, is like only sharing the punchline of a joke and expecting to get the same gregarious laughter.

So in that vein of thought...
I spent a long time getting the top edge of the front cabinet facing just right. I wasn't worried about the bottom edge, as I could simple trace the edge on the back side and trim to the line.
But then at the last minute  I got fancy, I decided to bevel the edge and adjusted the saw to give me a 45 degree bevel.

Nice!....not! I didn't even complete the cut. I was about 6" in when I thought it through and realized that the cut line was my finish line of the back edge. My front edge would be higher because of the 45 degree angle, and I failed to measure that out to ensure I wasn't violating any other feature.
I violated another feature. The damn speaker cover....AGAIN! In the photo, the lower second line is a simple right angle cut at the level of my rear finish line. When I realized my mistake, I thought what the hell, make sure a 90 degree cut gives me room, then I can play from there in terms of cut angle.
Thankfully, the mistake made a great template, a router bit made for an easier bevel,
And by midnight I was back where I started...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...