Monday, November 21, 2016

Microwave magic

I would say it was the early 80's, a magical time really. The advancements in technology was astounding....well, to us. Keep in mind we were coming out of the 70's, and anything more technical than a disco ball was mind blowing. I distinctly remember standing in front of  the door of this new kitchen appliance with my nose pressed to the glass of this thing called a microwave. It was huge, it was loud, and it was expensive. But it magically heated things up!
How far we have come. Now microwave ovens are relatively inexpensive, small, lite, and quiet. No longer relegated to just the kitchen, they are found in dorms, offices and even RV's!















The challenge with an install in an RV is motion. The appliance cannot simply 'sit' on the counter. Fillmore moves and shake,bounces and rumbles. Not really an install situation conducive to the appliance staying put.
In Fillmore the location for the microwave will be above the fridge. I know I know, not tremendously creative or original but from a space and functionality standpoint it is where we want it to go. So with the install space defined it was time to fabricate a surround/trim
The trim fits the cabinetry well, now we just have to get a mounting plate for the microwave to hold it steady during travel and to set the appliance at the correct height for aesthetics.

In the shop, all looks well. Now it was time for the dry fit!


Things will look better when the cabinetry is painted, but things look good! 


Now that everything looks nice and I'm happy with the fit, it was time to tear it all out and move the cabinetry to the shop for filling and sanding. Haven't quite figured out where I will spray the cabinets. I wasn't real popular taking up the garage to to the bathroom walls.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...