Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Kick Start to the weekend

Saturday mornings are the best. Although I often have Fridays off, fridays feel like they are the day you need to run around and do all the errands you have been saving for the week's end.....but Saturday morning is the start of the weekend!
What better way to start the day than listening to classical music with a cup of coffee while the sun shines....and of course all from the comfort of the lounge area in Fillmore. Having the time to just sit in the 'non driver' area, I get to see all the little things that still need to be done. As I sit here listening to Bach and watching the leaves rustle in the wind like small birds shaking off the morning dew, my eyes are drawn to an unattended task. The kick plate.
Using 1/4" ply I created the base for the kickplate that runs the extent of the living area.

After creating some vertical pillars for support, the kick plate base layer was installed, now I have to decide how to finish it. Thankfully I have a number of qualified individuals in my family who were happy to give honest opinions about colors. The choices were....
Same material as the flooring...

Or a painted surface.

I gave everyone two shade options. 5/5 family members polled agreed the look, the color and the durability of using the flooring material wins!
I am a man who likes the curves.....of the bus. Just like some of the cabinetry I am wanting to preserve the rounded corners and flow of lines. The kick plate should be no different. So before I laminate the flooring onto the kick plate I need to create the curved backing. Same sort of process I've used in the cabinet construction.
While I work on that, I am exploring materials for curtains. Our good friend Kath (one hell of a seamstress and quilter) offered to make curtains. After numerous trips to a variety of fabric stores, I finally found something I was happy with. It's base color is grey with white flecks...but it has a wee hint  of caramel which brings out the custom cabinet top made of Muninga wood from the Keelers

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...