Thursday, July 30, 2015

Measure 7 times, cut once


It's arts and crafts time in the Fillmore shelter. As we plan the interior pieces are starting to be put into  place. The wall panels are to be going up, but first the toilet must be installed. Which means it's time to do the unspeakable.
Put a hole in the wall.....

There really isn't much guess work here, the system came with pre printed templates and written instructions. Normally I would have a feeling of distain for "instructions " but I'll tell you I was glad to have a spelled out game plan. First it was time to cut and paste, good ol' kindergarten skills.
On the inside the legwork had been done years ago when I rebuilt the walls. The area for the toilet was already determined and prepped. All I needed to do was remove the insulation.
The outside was a different story. I had to ensure the spot available for the access door was lined up with the toilet location on the inside. It was, but I took nothing for granted and taped and measured, again and again.
Some might think that this is overkill but I was taking no chances.Measure, measure, tape, re measure...

And then do the deed.
Placement of the door was simple enough, trim the wall piece that I cut out and install in the door itself.
Mounting to the body was a bit of a challenge as the door is designed for the modern cube RV design, not necessarily the curved frame of the Flxible.
But we managed and in the end we have a functional door with a lock and seal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...