Thursday, September 10, 2015

Life lessons from Golf

 I was talking to my mom the other day when she mentioned she had been reading my blog. She smugly said that she particularly likes it when I talk about the things I have applied in life that I learned from her and my late father. As a parent what else would we wish for than to see in our children traits that we value so much in society that we pointedly teach to them, hopefully through daily example.
 Some of the many lessons I learned from my parents, mainly my Dad(sorry mom but Ive seen you on the course) was from golf . Humility and respect, punctuality,practice, persistence, problem solving, listening,  and graciousness. These are some of the moral and character fundamentals of the game.
Then there are some more practical perhaps, but none less important lessons like pick up your garbage and  replace your divot. As a teenager at a bush party it meant when you take out a cold one put a warm one in 'cause we aint in Kansas Dorthy and we need to keep the beer cold!
Later in life (marriage)it meant if you use the last bit on the roll, put a new one on....and for GOD's sake put the seat down where you found it.
But in regular life as an adult, it means be aware of your surroundings, if your efforts make a negative impact....then put forth the effort to fix it.
 I'm not exactly sure why these were drilled. These were found on the drivers side about half way down the isle, just in front of the fuel tanks through the main rails. Some one for some reason drilled through the rails. I am no engineer but I just couldn't get over the fact that the rail integrity may be compromised and so...
 Trace, cut and grind
 After some high heat welding, grind and polish...divot repaired.

Next on my agenda was the air intake for the furnace. Not for combustion but rather, the equivalent of the cold air return for your house furnace. The design of the system is that the warm(ish) air from inside the coach is drawn into the furnace, heated and then pumped back into the living space. The conduit for the air has to be a 3" diameter pipe, and the water lines running to the furnace(also the water heater-Webasto Dual Top ) are to run inside the pipe to minimize the possibility of freezing pipes. As I have said a time or two, sub floor space is tight, so there is a limited area the pipe can run.










I had to find a way to bring up the air intake between the fuel tank and the water tanks. The only available spot was through a lateral support.So I made a round hole out of a square space


And the band played on...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...