Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Leave your worries on the doorstep.

Whether it was Fats Waller or Jimmy McHugh that is to get the real credit, I am unsure....but then again I don't really care at this point anyway. All I can say is that I had the opportunity to work on Fillmore, the sun was shining and the bus was in the tent.....I had to move it over to the Sunny Side of the Street  and as such I had the Waller/McHugh tune rattling through my brain all afternoon.
Work continues for the bed/bench in the back. Today was to wrestle with the side seats/cabinets

I am using 5/8" G1S plywood, but I want a top frame of a harder wood. Now a maple or oak of course would fit the bill but I have little of that. What I do have lots of is Fir. Clear fir, Reclaimed flooring from a church in Manitoba. I would say likely a century old? Its been stacked and stored outside, but there is lots of life still left in it and because of the species and age, it will fit the bill just fine! This is the board from the pile, dark and dirty really. But a clean up, trim, thickness plane and we are in business.

The box is a unique shape as I am grabbing as much space as possible over top of the wheel well.
The fir after working it over, getting ready to butt join for the top rail
Test fit in the shop looks good!
Second test, transfer and dry fit in place before we glue and clamp.
As I lay in bed last night mulling things over I decided to do a slight design change.....of course. That will follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...