Monday, August 1, 2016

Artist's Wipe out

Have you ever watched a painter? I'm not talking about a house painter...although a good one of those is worth the watch, but I'm talking about someone who is painting a portrait or a nature scene. They start with a blank canvass, start adding the layers. At first to the observer it looks a bit futile, they seem to be doing a lot of brush strokes with not a lot of "meaty" results. But then with time you see that they are layering and building a foundation of visual texture and forms begin to take shape. To the observer you go from a sense of puzzling frustration to a general feeling of ease when things begin to take shape. Then an odd thing happens. Just when you think, you have things figured out, the artist begins to wreck the order to your world. I liken it to watching your child make an impending wipe out on a bike. You know it's going to happen, you know it has to happen, trying to stop it from happening only delays it from happening. So you let it unfold (usually in slow motion) before your eyes and trust in the order of the universe. Your kid gets up, maybe a skinned knee, better for the experience just a the painter continues with her brush strokes going from order to chaos back to a richer deeper visual order, just as you trusted she would.

So, this is my bike wipe out, my brushstrokes of saboteur. After spending so much time getting the curved edges and the mitred corners, it was time to create some chaos for a richer result!

If you remember the creation of this cabinet, was to grab some extra vertical wall space for "storage". Well a cabinet without doors is like Ferrari  with the keys locked inside. Nice to look at but it might as well be a picture because if you can't use it, it ain't real!









I had considered making the cuts in the front frame before I put everything together, but decided this was the best way to go....at least for me.

Of course there was touch ups and nail holes to fill
...and sand

But the end result is what I had envisioned. I will have to spend time and get the doors just the way I want.
Next step is the cabinet below.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...