Thursday, June 4, 2020

Things are solidifying

Ordered chaos is what I call it. Many times I have gone out to my shop and been frustrated to no end by the lack of order in my shop. I have even said..."OK today I clean, tidy and organize this space!" But somehow I get sidetracked by something in the shop that derails my initial intention. So I will keep the ember of change burning but until then I will take solace in calling my shop ordered chaos.
As seemingly dysfunctional as it is, I still seem to get things done.







Final coats have been sprayed on the cabinet components and preassembled.




















I then did a test fit back in the bus, and things seem to be working well, but before I permanently install....I have another modification that I want to do.

So while that bubbles away, its time to work on the dual top table. The eating surface is going to be worked on. The concept is to do a solder inlay in the 'Flxible' symbol

I was fortunate that the local guy that did my CNC work was able to make me tow additional working pieces from birch plywood. This gives me the ability top wrok in the routered surface and not mar the final table surface made by Anna from maple and black walnut 
I spent many hours figuring out the best way to lay solder. Jeff and I tried the crucible with a pool of molten solder, but I found it to unpredictable and a lot of sanding and grinding for finishing work. I then found a kick ass soldering iron that is more designed for industrial roofing, and it changed my soldering world...
Don't get me wrong, there is still plenty.....I mean PLENTY of finsishing that needs to get done after the initial solder melt.





But after some number of hours under the bench top magnifying lamp the result is promising


Flipping from work surface one to work surface two, allows me a fresh working surface to polish on
There is still one more significant step ahead, but things are looking great so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...