Saturday, July 9, 2011

Make believe

You know as a child the years that you spend allowing your imagination to run free is more than just something to occupy your time. It has many benefit for later in life. Like when you need to put a rad in a '49 Flx after you've changed the engine!!

 Well you saw the dummy rad last post, now I have to put it into the position I want. So I had to pretend that it was mounted where I need it to be. I know this isn't rocket science but I like trying new things and forcing myself to problem solve. To be quite honest I think the thing I love the most about this project is the way it makes me try new things and think in new ways!
 At Christmas time my little bro did a sketch just like this https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh1fKOAJpD_IFPx5u5FDoLPIEFjNoVMQngGmCM2S9MP-mPc002I8Jr9RXHJ_5dYqJhpCgjIl_-gIRTDwQVYCy_sdJ00uDajFuDEpWEizhogbiAWWysCPYOwAQFNQeRYU9AkYG1DeJvj-hs/s1600/DSC01161.JPG
To be honest I forgot about it until just now when I saw the picture and siad..."Hmmm that looks familiar!" Great minds think alike I guess.
Well after some playing around I finally came to rest on a frame design I liked. Here once again is my wood prototype.
After the frame type was set I then started doing some little mods to the rad. Removal of the hydraulic rad from the big unit first of all.
This picture was from this morning. I had to sing down at the stampede parade this morning. No, Will and Kate didn't stop to hear a song, as a matter of fact they went by so fast you almost didn't see the car let alone them. Didn't much matter to me but I got to tell you the people who camped out over night to have a royal brush were sure disappointed!
Anyway, the picture... after the sing I took an hour or so to grab some supplies since I was in town anyway. I got a good chuckle out of the guy at Federal Metals. I bought 4- 10' length of 1.5x1.5x.125" square tubing and some plate steel. When I pulled up to pick up the materials this stuff above was already in the trunk. The guy snickered and said...." You sure gotta love when Volkswagen came out with these half tonne Jettas!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...