Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Bump(er) and Grind

In my younger days, that would have meant a wild night at the dance bar or some one's stag and we're going to a strip club.....but alas I am more mature and would rather spend my "extra" time working on Fillmore.
With the safety inspection date looming I want to temporarily close in the rear flashing around the engine compartment. Re- creating the removable section of the rear bumper.


I started with 3/16" x 2" flat stock. Jeff and I had traced the curvature of the rear engine door, and then it was a very technical bending process.More specifically I used my knee.



Next I cut off the original mounting brackets from the old removable piece and that, with some angle iron, helped to create a new bracket to weld the curved piece to.






Jeff snapped this one, I laugh because it looks like I am spent, but really I was just taking a moment to enjoy the sunshine on my face and listen to birds singing in the trees! February and there are birds singing like it's spring time...THAT is how mild it is these days!
After a little wrestling, I finally got things set up and then welded together!
Next was mods to the flashing. Because of the new cradle and rear position of the engine the edges of the cradle have to come through the flashing. I plan to use this to my advantage down the road but for now, this is as good as it gets.
I need to go to a custom motorcycle shop or someone with an English wheel, I doubt I have the patience to teach myself how to work one....and I highly doubt Michelle would let me get away with that kind of purchase. For now a simple single plane bend of some sheet metal helps to close things off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...