Sunday, February 3, 2013

Another one bites the dust


 In a project like this there are jobs which you are constantly reminded of, but on the importance or relevance scale score low in terms of priority. Allow me to explain. The original side mirrors on the flxible were beat up, cracked glass with broken and jury rigged frames. So when taking them off...years ago now...I decided to replace them. I found a suitable mirror body and mounting system.Or so I thought.
 You can see back here in 2009 when I got Fillmore the original mirror set up is simple, clean, uncomplicated. That's exactly how I want the new ones to look. Although I did entertain some smaller sleeker designs, the reality is I wanted the mirrors to be functional too. There is nothing more nerve wracking than backing up this beast with  your kids hanging their head and bodies out the windows while screaming back-up directions at you because you can't see well enough from your mirrors alone.

 Unfortunately the mirror bracket set up that came with the mirror bodies didn't fit the bill of simple,clean and uncomplicated....
 So, I decided that this job wouldn't be a quick put together as I always hope, but rather will need some time and energy to create what I need. I liked the original set up so I thought I would start from there. The new mirror bodies are too big for this vertical bar, but I thought with some mods I could use them and keep the flavor.










 I cut and welded the original bars to allow the mirror body to be placed in between the mounting arms.
 The sun sets at an early hour in the north during the winter months, although it looks like I am doing a little midnight grinding, this is only the late hour of 5pm(ish)

 In the end I finished with my new mounting arms.
Clean, sleek, uncomplicated, and most of all functional.
Done!
That's another one off my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...