Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pura Vida!

 Hola Amigo!
 I usually give a heads up to an upcoming dry spell for my blog, but I neglected to give warning this time. We took off to Costa Rica for a once in a life time holiday opportunity last week. Although our family has been to Costa Rica once before this time was different. This time we were having a family reunion of sorts. Both Michelle and I had our siblings and their families as well as our parents join us all in Manuel Antonio, on the west coast of Costa Rica. Twenty of us in total, and we had a great time.

I could have a dozen blog entries with pictures of our trip, but being that this is a blog about Fillmore I'll keep it short. A proud moment was being a part of a deep sea fishing trip where Jeffrey landed (with a little help from Dad and his uncle Shawn)one of the 5 sail fish we caught that day. Made even more special when Jeff asked me to join him in the ceremonial picture op. because he felt bad that he landed a fish and mine got away!

Now on to things more Flxible...

I was working on placing the window vents in the engine bay, and then moved on to placing some of the stainless steel bolts that hold the fluted panels on the side of the bus.Should be easy right?
Nothing on Fillmore is easy, I would put them in place, finger tighten the nylock nut on and then finish the job with a socket. Problem was I was snapping the bolts like they were made of plastic. At first I thought the thread was wrong on the nuts...maybe I grabbed metric nuts for imperial sized bolts? But no, if that was the case they would be hard to thread right from the get go. These would easily thread on by hand until we reached the nylon retention ring, then things started to get harder and harder....
Of course, the nylon ring. The nuts had been out in the bus shelter, the nylon was cold and really hard!
So I gently heated them up (slowly) in the oven (250F for 10 min). This had two benefits, first the nylon softened and was easy to tighten into place, second was I kept the warm pieces in  my pocket, giving me a great warming bundle on a chilly day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...