Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Ode to Fillmore

 Jeff was in Bed,
Michelle was away: getting our Anna from dance. 
I decided to have some sweet Fillmore time, 
really whenever there's a chance. 
I tidied and puttered and moved with no rush, with no big goal in mind and no care.
When I looked down at the ground and saw what I thought
 was snow melting in the warm Chinook air



 Ha! I said with a smirk on my face, these winters are easy to take!
Cold for a day ,with snow I must say, but for winter it really is fake.
"Now when I was a boy we had snow so darn high, you had to walk with snow shoes to school
And anyone who thought that -30C was cold was ridiculed and left as uncool "

 But then there was tingling on the back of my neck and I slowly turned back to the bus.
The moisture I saw on the gravel was odd, and I instinctively started to cuss.

How could I let it happen like this?
I know better!
I knew I should look!
But my attitude morphed to arrogance I see, and now I'm exposed as a rook.

"I have heat!" I exclaimed in my last blogity blog, all smug from my trip down the road.




 Alas I neglected to test and to look and to see if it  held the under load

With trepidation I gathered the tools I would need, unsure of the troubles ahead.
A leak can be messy ,I know, and at times you may really wish you were dead.
"Hmm!" I said with sweet bated breath, the inside looks rather clean
I was hopeful and prayed to the bus gods above that the damage would be rather lean.
 Deep in the bowels (of the dash I must say) I peered with flashlight in hand 
and marveled at what little messy damage there was
Fix this? I well I surely can!


All of the mess,
all of the leak came from one tiny joint in the floor
I reached in with a socket and tightened it down, that's all that's required, no more!



The lesson I learned or the moral some say,
from my brush with the leak I must share,
Is the  same moral I learned as a child in the story of the race between turtle and hare.
 "overconfidence in one's abilities may lead, to failure or loss of  event!"
So take time,
                       check it twice,
                                                 go slow,
                                                                 think it through.
Speed will just get you all bent.

When you're finished a job,and you think you're all done
Don't assume you that you're right- " it's a pass!"
The moment you do Fillmore will laugh
and kick you right in your donkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...