Thursday, January 23, 2014

Lunacy


We see it all the time at work, we have a day that goes off the rails, things just don't seem "normal", procedures are harder, patient management is more challenging and upon investigation we see it's a full moon! The ever present scapegoat for a day gone wild, when the occurrences are pure "lunacy".
The term comes from the Roman Goddess of the moon "LUNA", and there are many cultures which attribute bizarre behaviour or happenings to the super natural and the full moon.

Last week Lunacy hit the Sinclair house, Michelle was away for a girls trip to Arizona,hiking the grand Canyon, and a little recoup time in Sedona. As I got home on Wednesday night and was starting to prepare dinner, my daughter Anna emerged from her bedroom to announce"Dad, it's raining in my room!"










Sure enough her roof was leaking, quick investigation revealed water from the attic space, the culprit?....An ice Dam. For my southern American friends, an ice dam is when you get a heavy snow load on your roof that blocks your ventilation in your attic. This results in a rise in attic temperature, thus melting the snow in contact with the roof. The water runs down the roof until it reaches the edge where is cools in the sub zero temp and forms ice. This process repeats and repeats until the water cannot easily drain and instead backs up the roof and seeps under the shingles, thus leaking into the attic space-onto the insulation and down into the house.
So I spent Wednesday night, Thursday night and a very good part of Fillmore Friday crawling around in the attic, hand bombing wet cellulose insulation out small bag by small bag.

Randy, steadfast but shiftless as ever, came out to pay Fillmore the attention he deserves. After making one of the final mock up pieces for the fridge we concluded the general floor plan. Which meant we decided on which window would be eliminated from the passenger side. Randy set out on drilling rivets!








Once I emerged from the attic I spent some time looking at an air shock for the passenger seat. Unfortunately it is too tall and I cannot use it, so back to the wrecker I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...