Saturday, March 28, 2015

Natural evolution

Hieroglyphics, cave drawings there are many examples of early forms of public communication. But just like many things in the history of the world, current practices get old and are replaced by new forms of communication. Distribution of paper leaflets or newspapers, radio, TV, internet.
But sometimes a nod to the past brings back a primal feeling of understanding. Take for example 'tagging' a street way of saying..."I was here"
Like a guest book I suppose. For those in the know, it brings a sense of belonging, or history of sorts. I think it's safe to say that when or if we have ever found a message in a bottle , there is a certain excitement and curiosity to finding out the story.
So last week when I was crawling on top of the engine looking at the clearance between the pulley and the A/C compressor, and I saw a 'tag' it brought a smile to my face. Spring of 2012 my friends Harold and Trevor, and their families,were here for a little visit and for some skiing in the mountains. At the time I gave Harold the job of the side walls for the air chute. I guess the tempt was great and he slyly left me a little remembrance of the visit.
Of course with my little bit of research into the topic, we must not confuse tagging with graffiti. The difference between the two is like comparing singing in the shower to performing one of Mozarts arias in public. Even graffiti has grown up, the talent and sophistication is staggering.









You can easily see why some of these people who may have been considered out laws and troublemakers once upon a time are now sought after for custom pieces for buildings and businesses...
And yes buses.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...