Saturday, May 2, 2015

Canadiana


In 1995 Michelle and I decided that we needed to see a little of the world. The possible destinations were endless but we decided to trek in Africa. It made sense as Michelle was born there when her parents were teaching with CIDA back in the 60's. We spent some time on our own in Kenya and then hooked up with an overland trip from Zimbabwe back to Kenya for the remainder of the time in Africa. The rest of the group was all from Australia and New Zealand, and were all affiliated with each other from University. They quickly accepted us into their ranks as their Canadian counterparts, and affectionately gave me the nickname "Moose"

Last weekend Michelle and I went for dinner at a co-worker of Michelle's. After dinner we had a visitor who wanted to partake in the dinner party. When it was suggested the guy move along and not eat all the new tree shoots, he showed no fear of these strange two legged people. Rather than being frightened away, he was curious enough to cause our host to back away himself.

 As we watched the scene unfold, I could hear the voices from my past yelling "Moooooooose" and wonder if they knew how  friendly an awkward and gangly moose can be.

As I patiently await Fillmore to be finished at Polar mobility, I am "tinkering" in the garage. My latest quest is to get the furnace up and running, ready to have a simple plug and play when we are ready.
Now I love the precision of German engineering, I deal with it every day with dental implants. The issue that you often have is specificity. In particular, you have to have the right tool for the right job, and no other tool will fit let alone work. Webasto is no different from Nobel Biocare, you need a special screw driver to torque down a screw.
After numerous tries(first two fails were because I actually forgot to plug the fuel pump in) the unit fired up and beautiful heat come flowing out. I was really surprised at how little of a  diesel smell the exhaust produced!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...