Thursday, May 23, 2019

beauty is only skin deep

OK, so I finally got the material I needed from 3fab manufacturing, and by that I mean sheets of 20 gauge brushed aluminum panels. I traced,modified,and cut the panels before finally used a very sophisticated template for rivet location.

I was worried that I needed to pre-bend the panels on two planes to make them adapt properly. That was always my biggest progression stumbling block.
But, I threw caution to the wind, and decided to let fate take control. If it works,  then it works and I look like a chump for over thinking things and letting years pass by before taking the leap. If it doesn't.....then its a costly dumb-ass mistake. So pretty much a win-win which ever way it turns out....right?

















OMG it worked!!
I mean....of course it worked, I knew it all along!

As I sat there drinking a celebratory beer and getting a muscle cramp from reaching so far to pat myself on the back....I saw a big mistake....






















The drivers side is supposed to have a dome light, stationed above the driver. You know to read a map....which are now on phones and have back lit screens but, sometimes you need a light to find your bag of Doritos! Anyway, in my excited haste once I realized the panels were going to work, I riveted the drivers side panle in before cutting the hole for the dome light. Luckily by removing the MDF backing box for the speaker and squishing my hand into a place only a mouse could squeeze into. I was able to retrieve the dome light, then using a pneumatic reciprocating saw , cut an install hole, and boom!...

Then there was light! I was so lucky to get this done....I had nightmares of drilling out 40 rivets!

In the end, things look great!
Next on my adventure is the pull out pantry!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...