Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Roof Over My Head

Have you ever driven somewhere, only to get to your destination, throw the car into park and think..."How the hell did I get here?" It's not that you are asleep at the well, but rather the scenery is the same day in day out, and after a while you grow so accustomed to it that you forget that its even there. This is the scene on my daily drive home. Stunning when you see it here, but I must admit that I drive this every day and there have gotten to be more days than not that I don't see the world around me. I've (sadly) grown accustomed to it
The same could be said for the entry into the bus. When Randy and I skinned the interior roof, I was having issues getting a satisfactory adaptation of the panels in the front of the bus. So I did what any good bus guy would do....I put it to the side and said..."I'll let that simmer and get back to it!"

As recent as last summer at the The Grey Owl golf tournament Shawn and I sat in Fillmore and brain stormed different finishing techniques for the roof. Shawn's idea was to have smaller "slats" for lack of a better term      



But after I installed a few I decided to abort. I really didn't like how it looked and figuring out the tapering angles was driving me mad.
Even with making a fancy jig.....it really didn't work.

I had kept the original panels from when I tore everything out in 2009
With some slight modifications, add here and there. I might be able to recreate the panels in a different material
Wiggle Wood!
This stuff is awesome, easy to work with and lite as a feather. I was sold......until Shawn put doubt in my mind.....doubt, or you could call it encouragement to continue on with my train of thought. But to do that I needed more (different ) material. Which I ordered from 3 Fab
 
In the meantime I decided to layer in insulation. Two layers of reflectix foil/bubble insulation sandwiching a layer of Aspen Areogel



The result was great, clean and contained. I had a layer of automotive 'jute', then this bubble wrap, then hard foam insulation

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...