Wednesday, July 10, 2019

A little chilly

 So last year in August as we were coming back from a camping trip in Jasper, and it started to snow. I cranked the heat, and although it was warm in the back, the air from the front of the bus was "tepid" at best. I had planned for the additional run of the coolant all the way to the front from the rear position engine by putting in a 'lift' pump or a coolant circulation pump....but something was amiss.
I made a mental note to look into it.
 So you shouldn't be surprised when I tell you it took me close to 10 months to remember the issue, specifically after a trip to Manitoba where we foolishly drove through the night and it was a little cool at times.
 The first order of business was to see if it was a simple electrical problem. Was it as easy as a connector popped off?...no such luck. Was it a fuse?....well I'll be damned the fuse had fried! So I replaced the fuse but still a no go when I flipped the switch to the pump. So I thought I would test the power to the pump. Positive was strong. Ground.....was giving me a positive power supply through the ground wire. Oh oh......
 Traced it back to the pump itself. Power going in on +ve AND coming out on -ve. It could only mean one thing.....
 I had a hunch which was all but confirmed as soon as I undid the mounting bolts for the motor casing. It was a terrible burnt smell
 And I was right....she was completely fried, melted, toast! Done like dinner!

 The internet being the wonderful thing that it is I found a school bus parts supplier on line that could ship me what I wanted for only slightly more than I would pay in Calgary, and they would deliver it right to my pretty little hands in two days. Faster than I could get there on my next day off!



















Pulling the old pump out I could use the same mounting platform I had fabricated for the other pump, but I needed to drill new bolt holes and as such get new vibration dampening mounting feet...aka chunks of rubber
A quick flip of the pump head to the correct desired orientation and we are almost in business.....almost....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...