Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Oh the horror!

So not to long ago I did the final step on the cribbage table and was quite happy (and apparently prematurely proud) of how well it turned out. It wasn't until I was getting ready to mount the table into the bus that it became apparent I had a problem. I mounted the table on a test piece to mimic the bus wall and the faux wall of the cribbage nook to ensure I had adequate space for the table top to rotate. As I stood back to admire my work......I saw it.....something wasn't flush. I felt a warming in my neck and face as my breathing shallowed and quickened.

 The front isle side corner of the table has warped up.

I employed my usual stress management technique and packed it up an put it away for a few days. I was heartbroken that I had come so far only to be thwarted in the final stages. I spent time on the phone talking with experts trying to figure out what I did wrong. As Alexander Pope said "to err is human, to forgive divine" Knowing your mistakes helps you learn, if you refuse to acknowledge mistakes then you can never forgive yourself and you will never learn from them.
After replaying the steps I had taken I made two seemingly small but vital errors. When laminating the table top I was focused more on the aesthetics of the top rather than the direction of the end grain. As such one board was faced opposite to what it should have been and as such would be more prone to cupping. Second is my stress reaction when I did the acrylic pour.  I had a small leak, and I panicked. When I discovered the leak I had visions of the whole project being ruined. The only variable I could change at that point was the ambient room temperature. Naively thinking it would speed up the setting process and stop the leak, I cranked the room temperature to close to 27C. The whole issue with acrylic pours is controlling the heat so you don't get excessive contraction shrinkage, the ideal temp to cure is 18C. By upping the room temp I sealed my fate and I caused the warping .



















I've got about a 3/16 variance of the table. Both Michelle and Anna say lust leave it......but I'm pretty sure I can't live with that....Now to explore my options to remedy the mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...