Friday, April 23, 2010

Measure twice, cut once...check it and then re check it.

I don't know how many times I have heard and I have preached to others, 'check it and then with every "little" change check it all over again. Assume nothing. Words to live by....to bad I didn't


So today after a morning of hunter-gather activity I set out to put the panels on the bus. As I knew from before with Ron, this is really a two person job. But I think I was a little eager to see some changes so I started.

First up was to apply the time sensitive seam sealer...yes you heard me 'time sensitive'. I liberally applied a coat to all seams between adjoining panels, panel and frame...you get the idea. Then I man handle the rear most panel into place...secure it with a cleco or two(it's all going very smooth so far). And then put the first NEW rivet into place.(cue ominous music) Hmmm... 'new'....did I re-check things???

As you guessed...NO.
The 400 and some holes are all drilled very carefully to 3/16".
The shaft of the new rivet is...(uh huh...you guessed it) 13/64".
You know when you make a mistake and you know you should have known better, it's usually the persons voice who taught you the lesson in the first place that you hear.
I don't know how many times he said it, maybe 10 times maybe a thousand, but my Dad's voice was so clear I thought he was behind me...."Out a little, out a lot Blake"...thanks Dad.
1/64" difference... that's all it took.
So there I was at a complete stand still, as hard as I tried I could not get that rivet in. I had to take the panel down and very quickly go and re drill all the holes to 13/64".....before the seam sealer dried.
Lucky for me my best helper in the world showed up(off the school bus), and didn't even blink. Jeff was the catalyst I needed and with his help we got things drilled and put up. We saved the first panel!!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...