Monday, August 9, 2010

"Out, out damn Spot!"

OK it may be a little rich to be quoting Shakespeare in a blog about your bus but, come on I'm a Dentist not a poet.

OK that might be the smallest video link I think I have ever seen....sorry about that!
This is where we started to "pull the engine". In a normal vehicle I've always thought it should be lift the engine, as you lift the engine out of the front....but with the bus, it was definitely a "pull".
You can hear Randy screw nailing the braces onto the roof trusses, I promised I wouldn't use the extreme close up of his face that Jeff took, so this sound bite is the only recorded evidence of his attendance.

So, where did we leave off....ahh yes no fork lift. Well some of the old barn timbers that I have been saving for a special project, came in handy. No this isn't their final purpose in life, they too will be re-used for another more noble project. But stacked and braced they did what we needed. Support the cradle until we could clear the bus chassis.

After we had blocked up the engine... time to slide her back...

It wasn't the fastest process in the land but slow and steady wins the race.It's amazing once everything was removed, how spacious it seems in the engine bay.

The GMC engine has served the old girl well....for how long? who knows. But it did get us from Montana to Bragg and a number of little trips since then. Why then swap to a new engine?..Torque, durability, efficiency...etc etc.

The empty engine bay seems big the extracted engine (yes, yes a dental term...so what?..) now out of the beast, seems small!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...