Thursday, October 14, 2010

It seems so simple....

So many times I have found on this project that I simply need to walk away and let things simmer. I talked last time about how I was unable to get the inner lug nuts off and I was at my wits end trying to figure out what my options were. I considered cutting the end off the lug wrench and grinding the shaft into a 3/4" octagon to fit into a socket on the impact wrench. Hell I even went as far as to go shopping for a specialty socket. Then the other night as I was typing a blog post it came to me. As simple as it could be. Embarrassing really that the solution could likely have been thought of by a 5 year old. Come to think of it next time I might just call on my kids to come brainstorm with me. KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid.




 I already had everything I needed right under my nose.... a pipe wrench and scrap lumber.......uuhhhhgh!
 Once the tire was finally off, we could proceed with removal of the axle, undo the shackles, undo the leaf springs...
 Viola! Of course these things do take time and the days are getting shorter. Perhaps I can get a better pic in the daylight

in the end we kwazi rolled the axle out, kwazi because we had to use the come-along as well. Unfortunately we didn't have much to hook the come-along to...being manly men...comfortable with out inner manliness...I drive a Jetta and Randy was driving his Miata tonight....needless to say Michelle had a good chuckle at our expense when she came home to find my jetta just about being puled back towards the bus with every pull of the come-along. But it DID work!

While Randy and I were playing in the driveway...others were playing in the garage....I promised Randy I wouldn't post the pic of him on the pogo stick. I'll save that for later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...