Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Majesty of October

I love winter, I feel that deep down I am a winter kinda guy, it does (and will again) throw a wrench into my progress, but like death and taxes, you can't get away from the inevitable. I know a lot of people love spring time it stands for the awakening, the rebirth, suntans and sunburns! But let's face it....it's a crappy shoulder season. Too warm for skiing , too mucky to mountain bike, you just have to sit ans wait and enjoy the sunshine. BUT there is nothing more beautiful than a fall day, cool crisp mornings, warming all day to a t shirt temp. Blue skies....come on are ya with me??

Well OK after the morning was spent doing the usual Saturday morning chores feed the crew, recyclables, dump etc. I managed to stop by a garage sale on my way home. Found myself a chop saw designed to cut through metal...better than using my carpentry saw with a disc on it, that's murder on the insert.

By the time I actually got around to doing some work on the bus, it was 2:30ish. So I did a variety of Hodge podge jobs. Sorry guys nothing too exciting today!

I pulled the second fuel tank out of the bus, I hadn't used it....and based on the smell coming from inside....I don't think there has been any fresh fuel in there since maybe 1955!
I have smelt "stale gas" but holey c#@p, I'm still not sure this wasn't old rancid diesel. Anyway...as I was trying to get the last of it out of the tank, some dumped on my boots. If I was wearing my work boots then no love lost. But....you guessed it.. I wasn't. So my lovely hiking boots now smell worse than my brother after a night of big BBQ and too many beers

I also spent some time cleaning out the engine bay area. I decided to remove the quilt work of tin, aluminum, silicone, expanded foam, Styrofoam. Once I get the engine in and everything settled I will recover everything. Looking at the passenger side of the engine bay....there is more gone than is left!

And finally, knowing that I am leaving for Guatemala in 3 weeks, AND the snow historically flies somewhere between now and then....I finished putting the sides up on the shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...