Saturday, November 26, 2011

A POPPI JACKET!!!!

There are many times as a parent when you realize you need to stop and take notice of what your kids are telling you. NOT to be confused with what your kids are saying. Yesterday Jeff very proudly said " Dad did you see my new jacket?". I was this close to giving my typical parental..."uh huh!" while busily trying to read an email and cook dinner. But there was something in the tone of his voice that made me snap out of my fog. I looked up and he said with such pride ..."it's a POPPI jacket!!"
It put a lump in my throat, a tear in my eye, and pride in my heart.

Now on to a bit of bus... As the weather is cool and the daylight is short, we have been working on some warmer clime projects. In the last post Jeff and I were taking apart the wipers. After removing the old wiper motors, it was time to clean things up.

After all the layers of paint were removed, and the rust....it was time to repair.

The issue with a vehicle this old is that there has been a number of people who have put their own spin on the restoration train over the years. So there are a number of extra holes and pieces. First order of business, is to attempt to restore. I welded over the extra holes drilled in the wiper motor mounting plates.


Next I needed to figure out the wiring. I found that when you are buying different parts not designed for a particular car model etc they don't quite give you the schematics on how to make them work together.










After a test fit, i drill my own new holes weld a few new mounting plates, then wire it up!








Last piece of the puzzle is cutting new gaskets. A cork rubber mixture I found at a specialty store.
I glass of red wine, some late night TV and a pair of scissors, I'm all gasket..ed up.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...