Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Turn into the skid!

So the other night, Bryce, Chris, Michelle and I were shooting the breeze. I think the topic started with questioning Bryce about his racing days. Not to imply those are over, but it sounds like he scared the competition enough that no one wants to race against him......or the economy tanked and no one can afford the fun stuff right now. I prefer the former, anyway my son Jeff was impressed with Bryce's "Sinclair" hat (he thought Bryce had it made to come work on Fillmore) but once he found out he raced a 4x4 and could fix them he was elevated to a god like status. None the less our discussion at one point was about learning how to drive, in particular drifting and using the movement of your vehicle to your advantage. Sometimes this technique is counter intuitive: the act of drifting is "about trying to remain in a state of over steer, sliding the car throughout the whole corner."

So sometimes you have to go with it even though you think this could be bad, have faith in the end goal and learn from the journey!
So when Chris started looking at my beautiful fuse box, at first I thought "awesome! this will be a quick re-route of some wires and bingo!". But Chris has a habit of talking to himself as he works, at least with the electrical stuff. So when I started to hear mutterings like..."hmmm well what about __" or " Well that's gunna be tough..." or the best..."Crap that won't work". I knew I was in trouble.
So when the option of a new fuse block was brought up I had already prepared myself for it. This is where I said..."just go with it, turn into the skid...it may feel like your loosing control but trust in the turn and it'll be OK!"


So out with the old....






And in with the new....


All the while poor Bryce was shoehorned into a wee corner. It was like his private little play pen. Working on Hydraulics and air systems he didn't have to travel far. There was a lot of grunting and groaning goin' on, but 3 hours at a time wedged into a tight spot will take it's toll on you!
The boys were very open to me hanging over their shoulders watching what was going on. The more I understand now, the less likely(or often ) there will be stupid questions coming in texts to them. So after a while they gave me a job. We replaced the drain valves on the primary tanks. The old ones I had to crawl underneath and drain them off, which ended up with me wearing half the crud in the tanks. Now we have pull release valves on cables, so I should be able to stay nice and dry/clean when I do this next time. A small job but it made me feel a part of the team.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...