Sunday, January 8, 2012

Promises promises!

 As many of you know, one of my biggest supporters in this project, on this journey was my father. Sadly as you will already know if you have read my previous post my Dad passed away last week. Always interested and always asking questions about progress and what's next, he had been musing all fall about the readiness of Fillmore for the road. My Dad realized in November that he would not be able to feel the ride of the bus, but in his final week we talked about the progress and time table, with particular interest.
Every spring we golf in a tournament in Manitoba called The Grey Owl, Dad has been going for 47 out of the last 50 years. This year we plan to show him the course one more time, and he wants to arrive in Fillmore. I promised him I would do my absolute best to get Fillmore on the road for Grey Owl. It may not be 100% done, but by golly I'm going to get him there.


So, with Michelle's blessing( and the fact she was going dress shopping with Anna) I quickly got back to it. First order of business, get the rad fan in place. I mounted the motor and did a dry test fit. After shaving 3/8" off the legs(to compensate for the thickness of the vibration dampeners)..
.
...it was time to weld them into place.
 Done!......next?...

A small touch, but when we are about to work on the engine I don't want the boys to get CO poisoning so I need a tail pipe to which I can attach a shop exhaust hose to.
After that, it was on to the sheet metal for the curve of the ram air chute. I can easily re-use the original metal. A little clean up and trimming and it should fit like a glove. A cold, sharp, hard to manage-causing you to dredge up new and colourful adjective kind of glove....but a glove.
The original edge to the chute was bent as one piece, as strong as I claim to be to my wife, I couldn't even begin to think that I could bend 37+ inches of metal in one continuous bend without making it look like road kill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...