Sunday, November 11, 2012

Old man winter is here!

 We knew it wouldn't last forever, the days were getting shorter, the air was a little crisper.Hell even the meteorologists were right in their forecasts. But when you wake up one morning to find it's puked snow overnight....it's always a little shock to the system.
 Not to mention that working on Fillmore takes longer, now I need to run a heater and snow blow a path t the bus shelter...
 So the issue at hand is the drive shaft. When I first mounted the engine I made sure that things were lined up as best we could. But with the shake down after all the extra weight of fluids and such was added, plus perhaps the engine settling in to where it wanted to sit vs. where I wrestled it into place.
The overhead shot shows how the tranny is too far to the drivers side. Although we experienced no vibration, I don't like the position. Second (which you can't see from this photo) is that the output shaft sits a inch or two below the differential.
I took everything off to see what things looked like inside, clean it up and then moved on to the next problem.
If I am going to reposition the engine I will have to work on new mounts. Luckily I have some tranny mounts for the 5.9 which I think I can modify to the application.
At this point I enlisted the help of Jeff, one of us under the bus and one in the engine compartment. At this point we are happy with the angle of the drive shaft both in the horizontal angle and the vertical angle as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...