Monday, November 19, 2012

Compression Depression

The "vibration" that I heard before my trip to Guatemala was two fold. The angles between the tranny and diff were excessive, but also the failure to take into account the extent of movement of the axle in a forward backward direction upon compression of the leaf springs. I decided now was the time to get a feel for the extent of movement. So at rest, measurements were taken of the rear hanger from a constant on the frame to the leaf spring.


















Then  a measurement from the tranny 
to the  flat edge of the pinion yoke




Then with the drive shaft unbolted I jacked up the rear of the bus until the rear wheels came right off the ground. The rear hanger moved a fair bit- over 4"









But the movement of the rear differential away from the tranny was only 1"











No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...