Sunday, June 9, 2013

Road Apples

 Yep that's right I said road apples.
Once again like a teenager going to the school dance I had my hopes up, only to have my deepest desire of taking the next step crushed like an aluminum can on a frat boys head. OK a wee bit melodramatic yes but....oh man so close.
 Once again I took Fillmore in to Calgary....well Springbank actually which frankly is WAY more convenient. I have done some work with Ron from RV Rehab and he put me on to Dave from Springbank Truck Repair. Dave is a great guy and was willing to have a boo at Fillmore to see where we stand in terms of readiness for the final OOPSI (inspection). The good news is that Mechanically Fillmore would pass. The bad news is there were still a few small details that need to be addressed prior to that happening. The biggest? I have no low pressure warning alarm or light. With the air brakes, there needs to be a warning system in place to warn the driver that air pressure has gone below 66psi. Not an original feature on the Clipper, but something easily put in place because of planning of the primary distribution block.  A quick trip to Greggs and I got the pressure switch and the alarm.


















Popped off the mounting plate where my pressure gauge and exhaust temp gauge are, a step drill bit and we're off to the races.






Now for the Road apple
 Springbank is only 35 Kms away, but as I was driving home I realized that my battery was being drained. The cooling fans were on which include two electric fans on the hydraulic and transmission coolers. Something is up with the alternator...I'm not getting juice!

 Second issue I was having was my brakes in the front. Things weren't right, they didn't "feel" right. So I limped home and investigated. Turned out my front pots weren't working. The issue? Connection at the foot treadle. My fault, I didn't double check everything after I got it back from Standens and I missed a incomplete connection. My mistake? How do I check the movement if I am by myself Really it's a two person job, one to push the brake the second to visualize the movement. I was trying to get super fancy and creative thinking of a way I could have a chord tied to the pedal and I would be able to pull it from down under. After a while it hit me, keep it simple Sinclair.
Technology is great. iPhone 4s has a video camera. Easy peasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...