Thursday, May 29, 2014

Hidden Treasure

It's a little bit funny this feeling inside
I'm not one of those who can easily hide
I don't have much money but boy if I did
I'd buy a big house where we both could live

Every now and again when I'm working on Fillmore a song will pop into my head, it might help express the frustration or the joy of the moment. Some time ago I took these photos and shamefully, I lost track of them. I usually try to keep things in chronological order but this time.....it fell through the cracks......it was supposed to be back in February.
NONE THE LESS! 
The point of this rant is that I distinctly remember the song playing in my head when I was removing the roof vents Elton John believe it or not. I think it was the line "Its a little bit funny this feeling inside" mainly because I was a wee bit scared as to what I would find. Now if you remember the Feb post you remember there was a surprise under there, but the reason for removing the vents was to evaluate my options for the air flow.
So off the came...
I was pretty sure the original design had the air flow coming back into the passenger area of the bus, giving the people some fresh air as they trundled along in the heat of July. Unfortunately for me, after after modification upon modification, my own not with standing, the openings dead ended in the engine compartment.
"So what's the problem?" you ask".
Well my own modifications now in the lime light.....my fuse panel resides directly underneath one of the vent holes. And although the system is designed NOT to allow water to flow into the bus....
I wasn't willing to risk it.










So after consult with my fabrication shop about custom making a special flanged tube that would extend down so I could re-pipe it elsewhere, Phil, my welder, said "Go to Home Depot and look in the air duct section, it will save you some $$"
Sure enough, as simple as it sounds, a regular dryer vent did the trick. Now at least I have some pipes to play with.


All the while Randy was turning up the heat...
Well not really, but it was time to install the furnace/hot water tank from Webasto called the  
'Dual Top'




After much talk and deliberation, we decided the best place was passenger side just behind the storage compartment(spare tire area)


Poor Randy, as I am still on strict "no bending, and no lifting" restrictions, he must have placed and removed this sucker at least a half dozen times. In the end it was mounted with vibration dampeners and all. I'm quite excited about getting it all hooked up, as it is diesel fired thus running off the main fuel tanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...