Thursday, June 2, 2022

A bad break up

Trying to be helpful by removing the starter was a good thing. But my efforts to do some of the grunt work to speed things up may have slowed things down. But ultimately it helped us to realize the extent of the damage. It wasn't simply a 'crack in the housing but rather the starter ripped a chunk right out. 

The top bolt was the only thing holding the starter in place.
I am no expert but, after showing the pics and video to Chris Kruse from Krusers mobile in Montana
He confirmed my suspicions and said "start looking!!"
A little bit of time on the weekend in the mornings with a fresh cup of coffee and the Cummins web site I narrowed down what I need. First thing Tuesday morning found that I could get a new one from the manufacturer......for a pretty penny. I am currently searching for a quality used one. 
In the meantime, I conscripted Jeff into helping me drop the transmission out of the bus in preparation of removing the flywheel housing. Easy in concept but there always seems to be little snags along the way.
Not totally visible in this picture but once I had the flex plate off , the damage to the housing is even more extensive than the "chunk" missing. There are radiating cracks towards the center and the periphery of the housing. Now just support the engine, removing the engine mount bolts, then 12 simple bolts to come out and it should just pop off! Right?
Wrong!......where is my bolt extractor kit??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...