Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Stuck on you

I wonder why I do this to myself. What you ask? Well it can be and tends to be a variety of little punishments I bestow on myself unnecessarily. For example, I like to pick a title for the particular blog post that perhaps conveys the gist of the post into a quick saying or phrase or song. But the depth of the reference is better understood by the end of the post. Or like today, it is  a song which is a tongue in cheek  reference to the issue at hand. But where I seem to be punishing myself is I chose a song which is an ear worm. Now that the 'play' button in my head has been pushed......there is no shutting it off.
"Stuck on you...."
So last post I referenced that to remove the flywheel housing was the engine mounting bolts and 12 little mounting bolts and it should pop off. But of course it did not. 10/12 came out beautifully, but the two closest to the exhaust manifold snapped off quicker than the bottom branches on a spruce tree. Despite my persuasion with a mallet, the housing did not want to budge. Reaching out to friends in the know, this magic elixir was recommended.

I have used penetrating oil before but this stuff is in a class of its own. My buddy Chris said 'soak it.....and I mean drench it in this stuff for a looooooong time'

So that's what I did. I would spray, go do some yard work, spray, go research bus parts, spray, go lumberjack..etc etc you get the picture
"....got this feeling' down deep in my soul that I just can't loose"

After a good bath in this stuff for a day and a half, I applied some heat to the housing around the broken bolts.
"Guess I'm on my way..."

Once again with my mallet of persuasion the housing slowly came off. 

With the housing off, the broken bolts were now standing proud from the engine block. I tapped on the bolt extractor and once again I started the bathing process with "Blaster"
"needed a friend..."

" And the way I feel now I guess I'll be with you to the end"
 
" Mighty glad you (didn't) stayed"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...