Sunday, September 26, 2010

one step forward...TWO steps back

There are good days and there are bad. Sometimes though a bad day at your passion is better than a god day at 'work'
This weekend was a whirlwind. A quick trip to Manitoba for an alumni meeting and class reunion....man it's good to reconnect with old friends.
Anyway I grabbed an early morning flight home(that hurt) and my loving family was extremely understanding to let me have a work day with the Mechanic.

As planned, I wanted John to get a chance to see the engine in dry fit stage. The good news is everything fits and with some minor modifications we can make things work.

As planned, we replaced the damaged oil pan. Which meant we pulled the engine from the bus, then hoisted it out of the cradle.

This is the bad news, or the two steps back. If we had the engine out anyway, and it was hoisted out of the cradle....now was the time to make things as good as possible. Ideally to keep the engine angle to a minimum we would like to drop the engine within the cradle by 4-5". Soooooo, while John replaced the 'sump' I cut through the welds holding the engine mounts to the cradle. Now we can idealize the engine position prior to final placement.
We'll put the engine in it's mount, the mount within the cradle, the cradle within the bus....idealize the position....tack weld and bolt.
BUT!!....I know the gearing in the rear diff is wrong....so that needs to be changed prior to the drive shaft fabrication.AND... with the engine out it is way easier to mount the rad...

So....we wait...again....still.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...