Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Must remain Flexible with a Flxible

One of my favorite things with this project is the little gems along the way. Sometimes they show up as time spent with one of the kids, like when Jeff and Anna spend the day riveting the body panels on. Sometimes they come when Anna wrinkles her nose and says..."you stink like bus"
And sometimes it's in the bling. Here is an emblem that was custom made. Another Flxy enthusiast was wanting one for his rig, so he put the call out to other owners looking for a finishing touch. Yes, yes I know I am FAR from finishing.... but like a squirrel I will tuck this little nut away, waiting for spring time.....when I am ready.

So, in the last post I mentioned the need for addressing the rear end gear ratio. After chatting with a guy from the gear center here in Calgary, he told me what to look for to help identify the axle type. I also dug up photocopied Original Flxible maintenance manual that I had ordered last year around the same time I bought the bus. Turns out it is a Timkins!
In a previous post I mentioned the gear ratio as I had calculated it. My Flxy friend from the coast pointed out he figured I might have my gearing calculation wrong. Sure enough... I am man enough to admit when I am wrong....and I was wrong. I had jacked up the back end and had both wheels free.... that screwed my results... I figured my gear ratio was 2.8. What the...???
In actual fact the gear ratio for the standard Timkins axle that was used in the clipper was
6.2 :1

I got under there with the angle grinder and wire brush.....

Yup... the ol' H110 PX10.
The good news was we identified the axle and now could better look to see if we can find a gear set that we can use to change the gear ratio.
The bad news is it's not looking promising....I may have to swap the rear axle.......UUUUUUUGH!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Blake, I am amazed by your focus and determination. In some ways, I am glad we are so far away from each other - I suspect if we were closer, I would never see Harold.

    We need to get our families together one of these days.

    Great job you are doing - can't wait to see those wheels on Manitoba soil.

    ReplyDelete

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...