Saturday, December 10, 2011

Bent out of shape.

 I used to play a sport called Ultimate....a Frisbee football. Back in the day, when I started (man I sound old) there was as much emphasis on the notion of brotherly love, acceptance and bettering yourself as there was in the creation and execution of plays. In those days there was as much effort put into the "cheer" at the end as there was in wining the tournament. My first team was called 'Grateful Fred', and yes we were a cross between Flinstone and Jerry Garcia. Our ongoing mantra was "baby steps, baby steps" I often think of that when I am working on Fillmore, who oddly enough has a Grateful Dead connection with his namesake...all be it 20 years after he was born.(Forgive me I have had a few glasses of wine and I am rambling)













While I spent the majority of the day at the kids school volunteering, Randy made his way out to Bragg to tinker. When I got home, we both were working away, until we almost simultaneously hit road blocks. Materials....Randy needed more nuts and bolts and I have ordered some vibration isolators for the hydraulic fan set up. With the waiting for the parts it put a kibosh the progress of those jobs.



So we moved on, "baby steps,baby steps". There are always jobs to do, one which has been troubling me was the passengers side rear end. At some point in the past, someone backed up the rig into something. Put a dent in the flange on the frame rail and perforated the sheet metal....yes the compound curve sheet metal.....not so easily replaced!
At first we tried the ball-peen hammer and the auto body dolly, but the damage was to much,so we fist employed a technique with slightly less finesse.
The hydraulic jack technique!!
Once we had the major work done the two of us were able to wrestle the skirt back into place.

Not Perfect, but seeing as there are no OEM replacement parts, and I don't have a English wheel like some, I will have to do the best we can and accept the occasional area of ....(erghhh)...bondo.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...