Saturday, December 3, 2011

Full of hot air

 Well the title is a little deceiving, although we are about to talk about air....it's not hot at this point, and a more appropriate title may have been full of S%$#. But I didn't think you should really start a post like that. Yet another thing on the check list was to re attach the compressed air.

 All pompous and proud of myself I got the appropriate fittings and air hose to match up with the existing braided steel air line coming off the compressor. I attached the end to the braided hose, and then went into the engine room to attach the other end to the compression fitting on the bulkhead. Notice how I didn't use the word swivel fitting.....
Unbeknownst to me as I was turning the compression fitting at the bulkhead, the air hose was turning, which then simply rotated all the way and kinked over the braided hose.....AWWWW SH*##!!!

I took everything apart and...well the braided hose was toast. So I had to remove it....easier said than done. Pretty tight working space.
The beauty of being handy is that you get to acquire the right tools for the right job. Sometimes you get to use those same said tools in applications you never thought you would,


who knew a plumbers basin wrench would end up being a compressed air hose removal tool!!





I went back to see my good friends at Greenline again with the old kinked hose (no comments please) and asked him if they had any of a similar length, he replied "I can make it whatever length you want."......[I love these guys]...... Anyway, to make a long story short I made a short hose long. Yes it meant the previous black tubing and fittings would no longer be needed but, if I could go from source to destination in one hose and minimize unions....well a guy has to do what a guy has to do.

 
Smart enough not to make the same mistake twice, I needed help. The hose has a swivel attachment on one end but not the other. So I needed help while I attached the bulkhead end, someone to hold the hose and let it spin while I tightened it down. (BTW you wouldn't believe how difficult it is to write this passage without sounding like a sleazy drugstore dime novel)

Having said that I did get a kick out of Michelle's response when I asked to come hold the hose.




In the end it all worked out, just like most things on Fillmore, it took longer than expected but the final result is a better option!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...