Wednesday, August 15, 2012

"Well that's a fail!"


Right from the mouth of babes. The title today came from a quote from my son Jeff. It refers to the attempt at a job I had to do on the whole bumper saga, which is explained in the entry below. Fillmore still hasn't taken much more than a few spins around the neighbourhood but it always brings a smile to my face ( and a puzzled look on the neighbour's) when I back Fillmore out into the sunshine and listen to his engine purr.



Back to the Fail
Although I can't say I am done with the two side bumpers (the passenger side needs "tweaking") I set out to work on the centerpiece. The bumper piece I have looks like it's from another vintage truck of the period. The one smaller curve (top to bottom) of the bumper is a dead match the larger curve (left to right) isn't sharp enough.



So I thought, "what the heck, lets try out a red neck bending technique......











I don't need to bend it much......









Problem is I couldn't generate enough force to actually deform the metal, I would start putting pressure on the come-a-long, and the damn car would just be dragged across the driveway. Even after I chocked the tires of the car, my little 1/2 ton Jetta just didn't have the curb weight to "get 'er done".
After trying a time or two my son skidded up on his bike and said..."Well that's a fail!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...