Wednesday, May 25, 2016

I think I need a wee dram!

"Best laid schemes o' mice and men an' men"...Eye Robbie Burn never spoke a truer word. He composed the poem in 1785, nearly a quarter millennium later I am on hands and knees muttering the same sentiment as I destroy a piece that I have created, in the name of progress of course. I suppose you can say that I more aptly improved upon an existing design!
The placement of the couch was determined by a combination of the most efficient use of space, how the couch folds out(distance from the wall), and the co-pilot chair. As a result the forward edge straddles the wheel well. I welded in a support so the couch could literally sit on the wheel well, and that would then give us an additional 5-6" of floor space on the other end. In concept it was what we needed, in reality it significantly, and negatively, affected the forward arm rest design and stability. So, as my good buddy who is a surgeon says..."To cut is to cure!"....and I cut it out....well half of it anyway.













This then allowed me to create the matching forward arm rest.









Yet to be completed is the sliding storage drawer under the couch. It kills me to move to the next item on the to do  list but as Chaucer said " time(and tide) waits for no man." and I have "miles to go before I sleep"(Frost)

OK, OK I'll stop with the quotes. Again I find myself in a wee pickle....what ever that really means... but for me it really means I screwed up. Well OK maybe I could soften that a little and say I failed to think it through from start to finish in it's entirety. After spending a fair bit of time getting the front face of the rear high cabinet just right...I went to cut the holes for the speakers. All was well until I placed the speaker cover over the speaker. Yes I had allowed for the size of the mounting hole but I failed to take a close look at the speaker cover to see how much extra space I would need to have it centred and balanced in the space.
The speaker mounted in there beautifully, but the cover hung over the door opening....
Back to the drawing board...
I enlarged the side panels by two inches towards the inside. That SHOULD do the trick!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh No! Not again!!

You may remember this time last year I found a  wee problem I had been checking things out and found a significant break in my flywheel hous...